Have you ever had heartburn?
That burning sensation in your throat? Ever have an upset stomach and discomfort after you have eaten your dinner? And sometimes it just won’t go away? Worse yet, did you know that long term acid reflux (known to us as heartburn) can cause cancer of the esophagus? This can be serious stuff!
But what causes “acid reflex”, otherwise known to us as “heartburn”?
Actually there are many causes:
- A lower esophageal sphincter (LES) dysfunction. Normally the LES closes as soon as food passes through it. If the LES doesn’t close all the way acid produced in the stomach can move up into your esophagus and cause discomfort.
- Hiatal hernia. The upper part of the stomach and LES move above the diaphragm, the muscle separating your stomach from your chest. It also can cause acid to move up to your esophagus.
- Emotional factors. Under stress depression and anxiety can slow down your stomach and intestinal processing of food and allow acid to move up into the esophagus.
- Inappropriate diet and behavior such as large meals and laying down after consuming a bit too much! Food like alcohol, hot peppers, garlic, spices, coffee, strong tea, tomatoes and citrus products.
- Chronic liver and/or gallbladder bile backing up into the stomach will also cause acid reflux.
- Digestive problems, such as Irregular Bowel Syndrome (ILS), Helicobacter Pylori infection and chronic constipation or diarrhea.
How can acupuncture and Chinese herbs help relieve acid reflux? Good question. Together, acupuncture and Chinese herbs will balance the digestive system and intestinal norms to reduce acid production and allow the stomach and intestine to eliminate bad bacteria that you taste with this problem. Strong sour taste, feeling sweaty, experiencing a sudden thirst, having a red tongue or yellow coating on the tongue are noticeable. Eastern medicine believes this is proof of “too much damp heat” in the body. If the person suffers chronic fatigue, is weak, feels they have a bloated stomach, and has a pale tongue or weak pulse these are all evidences leading to an acid reflux imbalance. Eastern medicine refers to this condition as “deficient Qi” (pronounced chi). In some cases it can be both. Why choose acupuncture and Chinese herbs? Over time, our treatment can get rid of the causes of heartburn. Most people can stop taking antacid pills and will be feeling well! Ah! How wonderful!
So, we ask the question, “Are you suffering from heartburn, again?”
Your Good Health Starts Here.
Contact us to make an appointment today.
Call: 407-851-2533, or complete the form below:
Monday: 9am - 5:30pm
Tuesday: 9am - 4:30pm
Wednesday: 9am - 5:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5:30pm
Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Open every 1st Saturday of the month
from 9am - 2pm